The Wild Robot (Hardcover)
We are available Monday to Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. for Limited Browsing, Order Pickup, Phone Orders, and Contactless Parking Lot Pickup. Order online 24 hours a day.
**Free Local Area Delivery on Tuesday and Friday**
Please Note: Many of the high demand books that say 'On our Shelves Now' are on hold for other customers. You can place an order and we will let you know when they come back in stock. Thank you for your patience.
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the The Wild Robot series.
- #2: The Wild Robot Escapes (Hardcover): $16.99
"This is Brown’s middle grade debut and he doesn’t disappoint. Roz is a robot who awakens on an island with no idea of who she is or how she landed in this bewildering environment. As this wonderful heroine finds a way to survive among her encounters with strange creatures, she learns how to adapt as well as the meaning of compassion, acceptance, and family. A heart warming and charming tale for young and old alike, Brown provides us all with the opportunity for thought provoking discussion across generations. Read it alone, read it with others, and read it again! Peter Brown has been awarded the Caldecott Honor Award, the New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book Award, and, The Children’s Choice Book Award for Best Illustrator of the Year. (The Children’s Choice is the only book award voted on by children themselves!)"
Wall-E meets Hatchet in this New York Times bestselling illustrated middle grade novel from Caldecott Honor winner Peter Brown
Can a robot survive in the wilderness?
When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is all alone on a remote, wild island. She has no idea how she got there or what her purpose is--but she knows she needs to survive. After battling a violent storm and escaping a vicious bear attack, she realizes that her only hope for survival is to adapt to her surroundings and learn from the island's unwelcoming animal inhabitants.
As Roz slowly befriends the animals, the island starts to feel like home--until, one day, the robot's mysterious past comes back to haunt her.
From bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Peter Brown comes a heartwarming and action-packed novel about what happens when nature and technology collide.
About the Author
Peter Brown is the author and illustrator of many bestselling children's books, including Children Make Terrible Pets and The Curious Garden. He is the recipient of a Caldecott Honor for Creepy Carrots!, two E.B. White Read Aloud Awards, a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book award, and a Children's Choice Award for Illustrator of the Year. Peter's website is www.peterbrownstudio.com.
Praise for The Wild Robot:
"Brown has written a lively tale that is sure to engage young readers."—The New York Times
"Roz may not feel emotions, but young readers certainly will as this tender, captivating tale unfolds."—The Washington Post
* "[Peter] Brown's picture books are consistent bestsellers and critically acclaimed. Expect readers to go wild for his robot-themed novel."—Booklist, starred review
* "While the end to Roz's benign and wildlife is startling and violent, Brown leaves Roz and her companions--and readers--with hope. Thought-provoking and charming."—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "This strong debut middle grade novel by the acclaimed picture book author/illustrator is a first purchase for most middle grade collections."—School Library Journal, starred review
* "Brown's middle-grade debut, an uplifting story about an unexpected visitor whose arrival disrupts the animal inhabitants of a rocky island, has a contemporary twist...Brown wisely eschews a happy ending in favor of an open-ended one that supports the tone of a story that's simultaneously unsentimental and saturated with feeling."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Roz is not easy to forget."—The Horn Book