Ever the Leader: Selected Writings, 1995-2016 (Hardcover)
We strongly encourage all customers to wear a mask regardless of vaccination status. Masks are required for unvaccinated adults. Thank you!
Monday to Thursday 10AM to 7PM--Friday & Saturday 10AM to 8PM
--Open 11AM to 5PM on Sunday **Order online any time.
Other Books in Series
This is book number 122 in the William G. Bowen Memorial Series in Higher Education series.
- #52: Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities (Paperback): $29.95
- #54: Lessons Learned: Reflections of a University President (Paperback): $21.95
- #60: Reclaiming the Game: College Sports and Educational Values (Paperback): $52.75
- #66: Higher Education in the Digital Age (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #83: Locus of Authority: The Evolution of Faculty Roles in the Governance of Higher Education (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #84: Higher Education in the Digital Age: Updated Edition (Paperback): $16.95
- #90: Lesson Plan: An Agenda for Change in American Higher Education (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #96: The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions (Paperback): $35.00
- #98: Universities and Their Leadership (Hardcover): $121.00
- #118: The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions Twentieth Anniversary Edition (Paperback): $24.95
Ever the Leader gathers together selected speeches and writings from one of the great scholars and commentators of higher education. William G. Bowen's career at Princeton University--from economics professor to provost to a sixteen-year tenure as president--was marked by extraordinary accomplishments during times of great change, both at the university and in the country. But it was in Bowen's second act, as president of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and founding chairman of ITHAKA, that he took the lessons he learned as a highly productive leader of one of the nation's most esteemed universities and applied them to a broader set of problems in higher education. This volume of work from Bowen's later career captures this expansion of his thought and influence.Comprising remarks and articles on the subjects of university values, educational opportunity, college sports, technology, and colleagues and peers in higher education leadership, Ever the Leader is more than just a concise distillation of Bowen's research and thinking on some of the most urgent issues of the day--it is a portrait of leadership in action. The selected papers, talks, and articles exemplify Bowen's commitment and singular ability to communicate strong, persuasive arguments for change, and to motivate others to engage with the truly hard questions facing higher education leaders. Filled with formidable insights, Ever the Leader will be required reading for university presidents, policymakers, and all those who carry on the struggle for equity and excellence in higher education.
About the Author
William G. Bowen (1933-2016) was president emeritus of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and Princeton University and founding chairman of JSTOR and ITHAKA. His many books include The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions and Lesson Plan: An Agenda for Change in American Higher Education (both Princeton). Kevin M. Guthrie is an executive and entrepreneur with expertise in higher education technology and not-for-profit management. He was the founding president of JSTOR and ITHAKA.